[clug] OT (Debian big report) - was Re: Kubunbtu 10.4

Felix Karpfen felix.karpfen at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 05:54:28 MDT 2011

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 17:17:48 +1000, Scott Ferguson wrote:

> I've quoted:-
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=619521 which shows the
> history of the (last) bug you reported.

See my reply to Carlo Hamalainen.

> Having never filed a bug report I can't advise. I believe the reason for
> reclassifying the severity from critical is that it was:- not unfixable
> (a symlink should have overcome the problem) **not reported by anyone
else**

I suspect that this is the reason.

All your notes on my set-up are correct.

But my remedy is different.  I have drawn a line in the sand.

My setup may be unconventional, but my computing needs are very modest.
Debian 5.0 supplies all the packages that I use, and I can see no benefit
from installing later versions of Debian.

> NOTE: I still recommend that people only use DVD sets to build machines
> that have no internet connection.

This - for all practical purposes - was my situation up to the release of
Debian 6.0.  Hence I have a track-record of successful upgrades that use
CDs/DVDs.  And no experience in using the Internet!

Again, thank you for the continuing interest.

Felix

--
Felix Karpfen
Public Key 72FDF9DF (DH/DSA)