[clug] Kubunbtu 10.4

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 20:51:04 MDT 2011

On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 07:59:04 +1000 Keith Sayers wrote:
> On Saturday 18 June 2011 an ever helpful Owen Cook
> responded :
>> > If you have problems, simply copy the /etc/fstab and post here where a
>> > few more eyes will look at it
> # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
> #
> # Use 'blkid -o value -s UUID' to print the universally unique identifier
> # for a device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name
> # devices that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
> #
> proc            /proc           proc    nodev,noexec,nosuid 0       0
> /dev/sda1       /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
> # swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
> UUID=8dd25579-49cd-4446-aa1a-c64441079fc6 none            swap    sw              0
> 0
> /dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0       0
<snipped>

> Keith Sayers

Hi Keith,
          I don't know how many drives you have, how they are
partitioned, which drive and partition you've installed Kubuntu to, or
where your bootloader is.

What is particularly confusing is that you said you installed to a
drive, and then re-jumpered the drive you installed to - changing it
(sic) from slave to master - yet the fstab you've posted indicates a
primary drive! (sda). How is this so??
If you installed to a slave the fstab should show /dev/sdb or /dev/sdc
or /dev/sdd.... re-jumpering (which implies changing the position on the
drive cable) doesn't modify fstab.

If you could please post the output of:-
# fdisk -l

A swap partition is not mandatory - the average desktop has sufficient
RAM to never touch the swap anyway.
Should your OS be unable to find the swap listed in fstab the boot still
should not fail.
Having more than swap partition is not a problem either. If your system
normally maxs out the RAM, and makes use or the swap partition, then
it's generally recommended to have a swap partition on every drive used
by the OS (unless the system sees the drives as one. eg. LVM, JBOD, RAID
etc).

Don't worry about creating a UUID for the device (yet) - it's not
necessary, just /dev/xxx will work fine *and swap is not mandatory*.

Cheers