[clug] Seeking USB and FPGA books plus dev board

Ben Nizette bn at niasdigital.com
Sat Jun 18 05:12:27 MDT 2011

On 17/06/2011, at 2:36 PM, jm wrote:

> I'm thinking about doing some hardware projects, so I need to read up on a couple of areas. I'm looking for
>
> 1) a book on USB that's useful to someone how doesn't want to go near windoze.

What did you want to know about USB?  Certainly USB.org is a good start.  LUFA is a well-written USB bit-banging library for AVRs that's actually quite a nice reference for low-level USB protocol info.

If you're just poking the OS-level stuff, libusb is simple and reasonably well documented.

> 2) a book on Verilog (Might have to go near windoze for this one. At least in the beginning), and

I haven't found a book worth its while here, the asic-world.com/verilog/veritut.html tutorial is my canonical reference but, as with any new programming language, nothing you read will get you writing beautiful code straight off, it's all about practice.

While I'm at it, I'm interested to know why you picked Verilog here?  Don't get me wrong, it's probably a good choice for many beginners and basic applications, just wonderin'

> 3) an good, reasonably priced FPGA dev board to go along with the book.

Here I really can't comment - I've used a few older dev boards but maybe someone can chime in with some suggestions here :)

	--Ben.