[clug] Seeking USB and FPGA books plus dev board

Owen rcook at pcug.org.au
Sat Jun 18 04:33:03 MDT 2011

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 14:36:57 +1000
jm <jeffm at ghostgun.com> wrote:

> I'm thinking about doing some hardware projects, so I need to read up
> on a couple of areas. I'm looking for
>
>   1) a book on USB that's useful to someone how doesn't want to go
> near windoze.
>   2) a book on Verilog (Might have to go near windoze for this one.
> At least in the beginning), and
>   3) an good, reasonably priced FPGA dev board to go along with the
> book.

*******Know nothing about verilog*******

This is the sort of thing I think about doing, but never do!

Probably start at http://www.usb.org
Have a look at http://www.linux-usb.org/usb.ids as you will need to
flinch a usb id, 16c0 seems to be the only free one to play with.

AFAIK, you need an eprom burner to burn the device id into an eprom
that forms part of your device, and then of course, access to libusb
via one of the languages, write your own in C or use one of the
modules from Perl or python

If you want the thing to start up automatically, you have to get into
the udev rules.

If you find a book or How-To, let's know, it seems to be one of those
mystery things that every one else knows, except Google!

Owen