[clug] Kubunbtu 10.4

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 03:35:06 MDT 2011

On 18 Jun 2011 17:13:10 +1000 Owen wrote:
> > To: "Keith Sayers" <keiths at apex.net.au>

<snipped>

> > My guess is that you did the install on one configuration and then
> > changed it so it cannot find the disk in question
> >
> > What to do?
> >
> > 1. Use a live cd and mount the hdd
> > 2. See if you can find /etc/fstab
> > 3. look for  the line that refers to
> > 41b54392-6db1-4bf8-b5d6-e6f0e05e409c and see what it is, it  might say
> > something like "This was /dev/sda during installation"
> > 4. Edit /etc/fstab and replace that string with /dev/sda (or what ever)
> >

> > If you have problems, simply copy the /etc/fstab and post here where a
> > few more eyes will look at it
> >

> > Owen

Please ignore my request for /etc/default/grub

fdisk -l
and fstab should be enough to allow someone to fix your problem.

The only other problem you might have is if, in swapping hard drives,
you've now got two drives with bootable partitions. It won't cause the
problem you've posted (grub bitching it can't find the partition
described by uuid) - but it can cause problems.

Cheers