[clug] Kubunbtu 10.4

Owen rcook at pcug.org.au
Sat Jun 18 01:13:10 MDT 2011

> 	I have been installing Kubuntu 10.4 from CD to an emptied (i.e.
> previously used but
> now reformatted) hard drive.  All went well right up to the finish
> line and 'remove CD and
> reboot'.  So I did, having rejumpered the hard drive from slave to
> master, but got this
> screenful :
> 	/init: 12: grep: not found
> 	/init: 208 egrep: not found
> 	/init: 217 egrep: not found
> 	/init: 222 egrep: not found
> 	/init: 227 egrep: not found
> 	/init: 231 wait-for-root: not found
> 	/init: 231: chvt: not found
> 	Gave up waiting for root device.  Common problems:
> 	- Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
> 	    Check root delay = (did the system wait long enough?)
> 	    Check root = (did the system wait for the right device?)
> 	- Missing module (cat /proc/modules; ls/dev)
> 	/init: 231: chvt: not found
> 	ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid/41b54392-6db1-4bf8-b5d6-e6f0e05e409c does
> not exist.
> 	Dropping to a shell!
> 	(initramfs)
>
> 	Could anyone diagnose my problem, please?

My guess is that you did the install on one configuration and then
changed it so it cannot find the disk in question

What to do?

1. Use a live cd and mount the hdd
2. See if you can find /etc/fstab
3. look for  the line that refers to
41b54392-6db1-4bf8-b5d6-e6f0e05e409c and see what it is, it  might say
something like "This was /dev/sda during installation"
4. Edit /etc/fstab and replace that string with /dev/sda (or what ever)

If you have problems, simply copy the /etc/fstab and post here where a
few more eyes will look at it

Owen