[clug] Secure your Internet facing stuff

Keith Sayers keiths at apex.net.au
Thu Jun 16 17:14:28 MDT 2011

On Thursday 16 June 2011 20:23:00 Ian Bardsley wrote:

> Subject: Secure your Internet facing stuff

> Now here is a topic for CLUG meetings particularly if focused for all of
> us non technical Linux users.

	Indeed - something on that line would likely get me to a meeting.

> to which Sam Couter added :

> Here's my one syllable Security for Dummies presentation on how to
> secure an Internet facing Linux (or any other OS) box: Don't.

> Seriously, if you don't know what you're doing, pay for commercial
> hosting. It's cheap, easy and reliable and the headaches are for someone
> else.

	Point appreciated but it would still be interesting to learn at what point that point
has been reached.  From what little I understand _any_ home computer is to some extent
vulnerable while on line?

Keith Sayers                                        keiths at apex.net.au
6 Clambe Place,
CHARNWOOD, ACT 2615