[clug] Optus MyTab and Android 2.2

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 22:46:47 MDT 2011

On Tue, 07 Jun 2011 15:15:08 +1000 Denise Bates wrote:-

> On 06/05/2011 08:26 PM, Grant Allen wrote:
>> (reviving a slightly old thread)

<snipped>

> On another Android-related matter, Is there any easy way to disable the
> tendency for web-sites to come up in a goofy "mobile" version?

Go to "about:debug" in the URL bar, then "Go" (on your keyboard).
Menu key --> "More" --> Settings. Look for the "UAString" option.
Change the useragent to suit.

If "about:debug" doesn't work for you, try "about:useragent"

> Some of
> my favourite sites still appear as "mobile", even after I have edited
> the URL bookmark. I guess that the device would have to appear to have a
> different processor than it actually has.
>
> Denise

To see what you device identifies itself as go here:-
http://www.angelfire.com/sc/ottferguson/gstbook.html
(But don't fill in the guestbook)
and read the userAgent line. I suspect it's the bit between the
brackets, after the "compatible" bit that you need.

eg. "MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1" might give you full screen
non-con-formant HTML ;-p

Cheers