[clug] Optus MyTab and Android 2.2

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Wed Jun 8 18:35:23 MDT 2011

On 09/06/11 10:12, Paul Warren wrote:
> On 9/06/2011 1:09 AM, Bob Edwards wrote:
>> I don't know how to make websites treat the browser as non-mobile. In
>> Wikipedia, you can click a link to permanently disable the mobile mode,
>> presumably based on cookies.
>>
>> Has anyone played with alternate browsers? What about web-proxies? I am
>> keen to "sanitize" the web requests that my 'droid sends out as the
>> built in browser is necessarily a lot less configurable than the Firefox
>> I am more used to and I am wondering what sorts of extra data gets
>> leaked out with the web requests. There appears to be no interface to
>> control cookies, for example. Or certificates etc.
>>

> Hi all,
>
> I've been using Dolphin HD as the browser on my Viewsonic G-tablet
> (running honeycomb!), it enables you to change the user agent string to
> appear as a desktop, among other things. You can also clear cookies and
> it's cache, I'm not sure about certificate management, or whether you
> can disable cookies or manage them in a more fine grained manner
>
> It uses the same rendering engine as the built in browser, so it's
> performance is similar, although to me it appears to scroll a little
> more smoothly on some websites (xda-developers notably).
>
> Here's the link for it on the android market
> https://market.android.com/details?id=mobi.mgeek.TunnyBrowser
>
> I believe the firefox, miren and Opera Mini also allows you to change
> the user agent string but I've not played with them myself.
>
> Cheers
> Paul Warren

Hi Paul,

Thanks for that recommendation. I have been playing with Opera Mini a
bit. Not too bad. I've seen some good recommendations for Dolphin, so
I'll give that a go tonight. I wonder how it will go on 2.2 vs. 3.0?

What I am also looking for is some sort of transparent proxy to run
on the Android itself to allow me to monitor, set and/or sanitize any
data leaking out of the browsers, including the user agent string.

Having a Linux kernel, I am assuming I can trust that any iptables rules
to redirect out-going request packets to another local port will be
honoured by any/all browsers, marketplace interfaces, youtube viewers
etc. etc.

Anyone been there with Android yet?

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.