[clug] Optus MyTab and Android 2.2

Denise Bates dbates at fwi.net.au
Mon Jun 6 23:15:08 MDT 2011

On 06/05/2011 08:26 PM, Grant Allen wrote:
> (reviving a slightly old thread)
>
> The MyTab has now dropped in price to $99 (including 3GB of data - no
> plan/contract), I've seen them in stock at a few places in Sydney and
> Brisbane ... not sure about supply in Canberra.  The 2.2 update and
> carrier unlock are both 60 second tasks, and there are a few custom
> images out there that look interesting.  At this rate they'll be
> giving them away for nothing by the end of the month :)
I have one of these things, and I guess that it has finally settled down
to a price which reflects what it is really worth. The touchscreen
control is terrible: I find myself digging the tips of my fingernails
hard into the screen, even to get a barely tolerable level of control.
The thing decides to scroll wildly to the top or bottom of a web page
and to reload pages for no apparent reason. Web browsing is made even
worse by the poor Optus coverage here in Goulburn.
The only positive feature is a long battery life.

The update to Android 2.2 may have improved things slightly. I couldn't
see any provision to upgrade via a Linux machine, so I dragged out my
elderly laptop (the only one that runs Windoze) and anxiously waited for
several hours for the upgrade (having USB 1.1 on the old laptop didn't
help).

On another Android-related matter, Is there any easy way to disable the
tendency for web-sites to come up in a goofy "mobile" version? Some of
my favourite sites still appear as "mobile", even after I have edited
the URL bookmark. I guess that the device would have to appear to have a
different processor than it actually has.

Denise