[clug] The harsh realities of CLUG (Interim Summary)

Chris Smart clug at christophersmart.com
Sat Jun 4 03:20:44 MDT 2011

On 19/05/10 23:05, jm wrote:

> wiki to potentially replace the current website- what happened to
> Club-In-A-Box?

See below.

> The need for marketing of Linux to windows users who still somehow don't
> know Linux exists.

Well some years ago I create the MakeTheMove.net website, which was
supposed to help address this.

Everyone was pretty keen on the idea, but at the end of the day I
basically had to do it
myself. Despite everyone's best intentions, if I hadn't had the
motivation to do it myself, it simply wouldn't exist today (as badly in need of
an update as it is).

We also had a wiki - a place where people could put all these things
about Linux you're all talking about. It started out OK, but then it
dwindled and just got over run with spam because no-one cared any
more, and I had to
close it down.

You can still see it here:
http://wiki.makethemove.net/

So, we can talk all we want about intentions - until someone gets off their
arse and actually goes to the effort of creating and maintaining something - it
won't happen. Same for meetings, Paul - if someone really wanted to
help you, they would. But they don't. And the only thing that's going
happen is you getting burnt out. Someone else will pick up the torch,
and then they'll get burnt out too.

It's the same with club-in-a-box. Great idea, but no-one really cares enough
to do it. There just isn't a big enough itch to scratch.

And that's really the core issue. Honestly, most people _just don't
care enough_. You all say you'd love to see this or that, but at the
end of the day you won't have the
time or desire to really do it - there are too many other important
things in life vying for your time and attention.

-c