[clug] [OT] uBeam - wireless charging stations (ultrasonics, 50kHz)

Ben Nizette bn at niasdigital.com
Fri Jun 3 04:43:55 MDT 2011

On 03/06/2011, at 11:30 AM, Arjen Lentz wrote:

> Hi Steve

You mean the one you saw was induction charging?  They're the only ones I'd seen up till now as well.

This one is ultrasound, though I don't know why anyone would use it (and too lazy to read the web site!).

> The company that had it first appeared at the time to not take the swift way to market properly - I don't remember their name right now, but it appears that others have caught up with them anyhow.
>
> Given that mobiles are going to charge from USB (with the EU directive enforcing that) it not only means no more plug-mess, but it also means they'll all eat a standardised 5V in. So at least for mobiles, modifying them to deal with plug-less charging is going to be easy.

The Xi Collaboration is a step in this direction that actually has a bit of momentum, hope to see good quality inductive charging in the next year or two!

	--Ben.