[clug] Adding n-wireless network to g

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Fri Jun 3 02:13:37 MDT 2011

On 3 Jun 2011, at 16:51, Stephen Gibson wrote:

> I would like to add a n-wireless network to my current g system, for
> transferring video files:
>
>   mythtv-backend  -(wireless)->  router  -(wireless)->  UPnP TV

Or alternately:

 router -+--> UPnP TV
         \--> MythTV server

> Since many n-routers can act as access points, I guess option (3) can
> be deleted.

What do you mean by that statement? All WiFi equipped routers act as wireless access points.

> Replacing the modem provides the possibility of improved connection
> speed and stability. But, I have read that concurrent g-wireless
> connections may slow the n-wireless network.

Any WiFi router that has only one radio will either do 802.11n or 802.11g, but not both simultaneously. Some WiFi routers have two radios (eg: Apple AirPort Extreme, Cisco E3000[1])

> I now realise that adding a n-router will not help the n-/g- conflict,
> since I guess the modem (2.4GHz g-) wifi must be turned off.

You can have an 802.11n and an 802.11g network running at the same time if you have two separate WiFi routers.

> Anyway, does anyone have any experience with n-network performance when
> g-devices are present?

I have a Linksys WRT54G (802.11g) and an old Airport Express (802.11n) running side by side on the same network with no issues:

ADSL -- D502T -- AirPort Extreme ------- WiFi ------> 802.11n devices
                              \- Gigabit Ethernet--> Linksys WRT54G -> 802.11g devices
                                                 \-> Desktop computer

Hope this helps
Alex

[1] http://www.linksysbycisco.com/ANZ/en/products/E3000