[clug] [OT] uBeam - wireless charging stations (ultrasonics, 50kHz)

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Thu Jun 2 20:13:47 MDT 2011

On 03/06/11 11:46, Arjen Lentz wrote:
> Hi Jmi, all
>
>> cooking everyone in the room?
>
> Ya, having looked at the video, it seems like an atrociously bad idea for that reason and more.
>
> See with an induction plate you can detect the presence of a device and regulate and even switch the system on/off. With the uBeam, it'd have to be on all the time and it's putting energy (in the form of the ultrasound waves) out all the time in to the room. The transmitter can't tell when there's an actual receiver, so it's a huge waste of energy for most of the time.
>
> I think there are other issues with pumping lots of ultrasound into a room, but on the basis of energy wastage alone this is a serious problem. Not all tech is good.
>

> Cheers,
> Arjen.

Looks like a fairly typical American solution in the obscene waste of
energy to give an incremental improvement in "quality of life". Very
non-subtle.

If the energy emitter were able to detect the presence of batteries
needing charging and direct the energy directly to that device for as
long as it took to recharge, then it would be a major improvement in
energy efficiency. But when you have lots of nuclear power stations,
who cares about wasted energy?

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.