[clug] Avoiding NVIDIA Optimus ?

Brett Worth brett at worth.id.au
Tue Jul 19 23:52:44 MDT 2011

On 20/07/11 11:35, Warren Gardner wrote:
> I put an Acer Aspire AS5750G-2414G75Bnkk on hold at Dick Smith at the
> sale price of $769.
>
> My main concern was the 'floating key' keyboard until I got home and
> googled NVIDIA Optimus.

Take a look at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bumblebee

This make it usable but not perhaps as seamlessly as it would be in Windows.  The work is
only pretty recent so I expect it will get better.

I'm using it on a Dell XPS 15z running Kubuntu 11.4 and it seems to work OK.  I had to
muck around a bit to get the enablecard and disablecard scripts to work correctly.
There's a lot of laptops that are better supported than the Dell.

Brett
--