[clug] Dual Monitors with Thinkpad T410

Lana Brindley lanabrindley at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 20:27:49 MDT 2011

On 20 July 2011 12:16, Andrew Janke <a.janke at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 20 July 2011 12:08, Hal Ashburner <hal.ashburner at gmail.com> wrote:
>> At the risk of stating the obvious can you not borrow a monitor or use a
>> dvi-hdmi cable and your tv and test they all switch on and show something on
>> the screen?
>
> +1 to that and/or if your current monitor has dual inputs (VGA+DVI)
> plug them both in! The video card in the laptop should detect "both"
> monitors and you can switch between them with the controls on the
> monitor.

My partner has a smaller Samsung, so I might give that a whirl as a
test run. I really don't know how the dock manages to have all these
extra ports, and that's mostly what I was googling for when I went
looking (and more or less the info I'm looking for now, too). I did
get burned on my last Thinkpad (T60), which had a DVI out on the dock
which couldn't be used because the laptop itself couldn't send a DVI
signal (apparently other laptop models used the same dock which could
do it, which is why it was there).

Basically just looking for anyone who has done anything like this
before with a T410 (or similar) running Linux. I'm really not sure if
the graphics card will be able to handle it.

Thanks for the help :)

Lana Brindley
writer:speaker:blogger
Every generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one
that went before it, and wiser than the one that comes after it.
--George Orwell