[clug] Process sandboxing

Sam Couter sam at couter.id.au
Thu Jul 14 02:14:29 MDT 2011

jm <jeffm at ghostgun.com> wrote:

> Anyone have any thoughts on sand boxing a process on linux? I was
> originally thinking of using chroot, but this still leaves network
> access and a few other holes open. The objective is to allow
> untrusted third parties to upload scripts to a server for it to run
> with the only way to communicate out being via functions I provide.
> It seems all the most common scripting languages make it nearly
> impossible to easily remove/limit functionality from the language.
> So the overhead of going that way would be a killer most likely
> involving modifying the interpreter for each language used. The
> alternative would be to get the OS to limit what the scripts can do.
> Alright over to you guys.

Bash has rbash, doesn't seem too flexible though.

You could run everything under uml, kqemu or similar.

Dare I suggest Java? Sandboxing is one of the primary features of the Sun
and OpenJDK VMs, and there are many languages that run on it. If you're
after "scripting" languages, Scala and Groovy are probably most obvious.
Sam Couter         |  mailto:sam at couter.id.au