[clug] Linux user authentication - integrating with Windows environments

jm jeffm at ghostgun.com
Wed Jul 6 19:04:58 MDT 2011

I can think of three (four?) different directs:

a) ldap on linux. Use pgina on windoze host to auth and native ldap.conf
and pam on linux
b) kerberos on both linux  and windoze
c) active directory on windows. Not to sure about this but I have seen
plenty of tutorials on this out there. Most likely, by getting linux to
treat AD as an ldap server.
d) There's probably a way to get samba to do this.

If your already a windows centric shop then c ( the option you've
already highlighted) may be your best bet.

Good luck what ever path you choice to go. It's going to be a
frustrating set up.

Lastly, take a look at
http://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/442411-unite-your-linux-and-active-directory-authentication
Only glanced at it, but it seems to do what you want. It will be
interesting to hear how you fair.

Jeff.