[clug] Home Automation

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Sun Jul 3 18:12:10 MDT 2011

On 02/07/11 16:17, Anshul Gupta wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> A few years back at the LCA, somebody presented on home automation. Does anyone have the link to that presentation or video?
>
> I will be building in Canberra and I am in process of exploring various options. Any links, pointers etc will be helpful.
>
> Cheers, Anshul

I gave a talk or two at CLUG and PSIG several years ago on "hacking"
some wireless power switches that were (and still are) available from
Bunnings and Jaycar etc. I talked a bit about my (then) NSLUG-powered
home automation system.

I also have some C-Bus (from Clipsal) installed at my home and am always
looking at newer options.

I have been toying with some of the Jennic modules that Alastair got
some years ago with a view to implementing a secure wireless solution.

A guy up the corridor from me here at work has much of his recently
rebuilt home automated. He used standard DIN-rail mounted relays and a
one-wire interface connected to that and to a whole lot of temperature
sensors to control it all from a Linux-powered laptop.

We should have another home-automation-themed CLUG meeting sometime.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.