[clug] Request for Ideas/Suggestions: Fedora Scientific Spin

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 05:31:20 MDT 2011

Hi all (and Amit)

First up: +1 to you for having the initiative to get something going
by yourself.

On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 21:16, Brad Hards <bradh at frogmouth.net> wrote:
> On Sunday 03 July 2011 13:31:45 Amit Saha wrote:
>> It would be of great help if the interested ones among you suggest some
>> generic tools for numerical computing/scientific research..

I know I'm late to the party but my (humble) suggestion is that you
dump Fedora and use something Debian based, there is already so much
more effort on the Debian front in this area that the RH based stuff
pales into obsecurity.

On the Debian front, one that I use and contribute to is here:

   http://neuro.debian.net/

Yes, it's focussed on a very narrow field but is based upon all these projects:

   http://wiki.debian.org/DebianScience

Now back to suggestions of what is needed in "scientific
distributions", I'll put in a vote for an easily
configurable/pre-configured batch system such as
gridengine/Condor/PBS. So many research areas now depend on linux
clustering to do analysis and this is a difficult thing to install for
a novice user.

This would include all the work that first must be done to setup
LDAP/NIS for authentication, NFS for cross mounting home directories,
perhaps a private local subnet? etc etc.  Think of it as a "cluster in
box".

That's just my suggestion though, and again is scratching my own itch.

Good luck with it!