[clug] Request for Ideas/Suggestions: Fedora Scientific Spin

Amit Saha Amit.Saha at student.adfa.edu.au
Sat Jul 2 21:31:45 MDT 2011

Hello all:

I have been lurking on this list for a while now, and have been quietly
reading the many interesting discussions happening here. Time to start
one on my own!

I wanted to draw your attention to a recent effort of mine, which is to
create a Fedora Scientific spin. Like probably a lot of things in the
FOSS world, this was a classic case of "scratching my own itch", and the
ease with which a custom spin can be created for Fedora, I decided to go
ahead with this long brewing idea of mine.

The current wiki page is at https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Scientific_Spin

It would be of great help if the interested ones among you suggest some
generic tools for numerical computing/scientific research that you find
really useful which is not already included in the list of packages in
the above wiki page.

I am currently discussing this idea with the Spins SIG and the SciTech
SIG [2] in the Fedora community, and you are most welcome to join in there!

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Spins_SIG
[2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:SciTech_SIG

Thanks!
-Amit