[clug] IPv6

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Tue Jan 18 02:18:25 MST 2011

On 1/12/11 8:00 PM, Paul Wayper wrote:

> A quick survey of about three dozen major web sites in Australia showed only
> one that returned an IPv6 address as part of the result of a 'host' command:
> Internode.  None of the other major ISPs, none of the major banks, none of the
> major government departments, none of the major news services, none of the
> major commercial sites.  Why not?  Because they already have their IPv4
> address and they're waiting until someone actually starts demanding IPv6
> before they do it.

I think your data might be skewed there. Some (I don't know how many)
resolvers only hand out IPv6 addresses to networks where IPv6 is known
to work. This is because Windows will default to using IPv6 if an IPv6
address is handed to, regardless of if the machine has working IPv6
connectivity.

For example: http://www.google.com/intl/en/ipv6/

So, were you performing your testing from a known working IPv6 capable
network? AARNET would probably be a good choice.

Mikal