[clug] IPv6

Craig Small csmall at enc.com.au
Mon Jan 17 19:53:22 MST 2011

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 01:20:49PM +1100, Steve Walsh wrote:
> >Thirdly, and I think most crucially, it really doesn't say much about what
> >form the actual IPv6 deployment must take.  Is it full IPv6 deployment inside
> >and out and between all departments?  IPv6 on all external-facing
> >applications?  IPv6 on all business-to-business links?  Or just an IPv6
> >address for the public website?  If a government department just deploys an
> >IPv6 address as an FTP site, is that OK as a 'deployment'?
> As I understand it, it's "all critical public services must be
> available on an ipv6 address". So, I'd take that to mean www, smtp,
> etc.
The main drivers from what I've seen is so the department is reachable
from anyone on the internet, no matter if they have IPv4 and IPv6
address (or both).  If the only driver was that the departments were
going to run out of addresses, the change would never happen.
That means things like web and email servers on the "outside".

If you're looking at it as a matter of department address exhaustion,
you're looking at the problem the wrong way.

Of course a full IPv6 deployment on the internal networks would
certainly make mergers and splits a hell of a lot easier!

 - Craig
--
Craig Small VK2XLZ    http://www.enc.com.au/       csmall at : enc.com.au
Debian GNU/Linux      http://www.debian.org/       csmall at : debian.org