[clug] IPv6

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Mon Jan 17 01:21:53 MST 2011

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 01:41:07PM +1100, Steve Walsh wrote:
>> Or, as Martijn says, has IPv6 stuff in the box but not enabled - you need an
>> extra license for that functionality, matey.
>
> yes, this has been known on commercial grade routers for a long time,
> and provides a very simple way to make sure you support ipv6. I'm not
> aware of any domestic kit needing such a licence, perhaps you can give
> us examples so we know to avoid them?

I'm not aware of any that consumers can buy, but cable modems for
example often have IPv6 supprt in them, disabled until the provider
says so (any DOCSYS3.0 modem should have ipv6 support).

I imagine similar things are available with the managed ADSL services
(where the provider gives you the ADSL modem to run special stuff over
the ADSL that doesn't work with other providers). The latter is quite
common in NL, so you can get TV & phone via ADSL.

Given that for consumer kit the difference between support and no
support is a firmware update, I imagine that if it was wanted it could be
enabled in short order.

Have a nice day,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout   <kleptog at svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/