[clug] IPv6

Steve Walsh steve at nerdvana.org.au
Sat Jan 15 19:41:07 MST 2011

On 01/15/2011 10:57 PM, Paul Wayper wrote:
> However, being able to exist with an IPv6-only machine on the internet and
> fetch pages from an IPv4-only host without any network address translation,
> proxying or other network shenanigans is, AFAICS, completely impossible.  If
> that's what 'backward compatible' means, then I'm afraid Mr Austin is out of luck.

ipv4 and ipv6 were never meant to be "address compatible", so most
people run a dual-stack network unless they are in a pure ipv6 network
(and there are very few of those out there atm).

The only way to achieve this is via a 6to4 gateways, and they allow
people in a native ipv6 network to access ipv4 resources over a tunnel,
much the same way ipv6 brokers allow people on pure ipv4 networks to
access ipv6 via a tunnel.

> Or, as Martijn says, has IPv6 stuff in the box but not enabled - you need an
> extra license for that functionality, matey.

yes, this has been known on commercial grade routers for a long time,
and provides a very simple way to make sure you support ipv6. I'm not
aware of any domestic kit needing such a licence, perhaps you can give
us examples so we know to avoid them?