[clug] IPv6

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Thu Jan 13 15:40:42 MST 2011

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 10:17:12PM +1100, David Austin wrote:
> > What you're probably talking about is 'I want my IPv6-only machine
> > to be able to access IPv4 addresses with no additional hardware,
> > routing or proxies'.
> >

> Sort of.  Certainly it should be possible with a little effort on the
> part of my ISP.

Err, so what you want is for your ISP to do NAT for your connection
because you can't be bothered to set it up yourself? There was at a
time a way to setup IPv4 addresses with the IPv6 header,s but that just
makes things more complicated than they already are.

> Also it should be possible to upgrade backbones to IPv6 and
> still carry IPv4 traffic within that.  Requiring that significant sections
> of a deliberately anarchic thing to all decide to switch over at once seems
> hopeful.

Any link can take either IPv4 or IPv6 traffic simultaneously, there's
no need to choose at that level. If everything had to change in one go
you'd be stuffed. But now it can be phased it.

> Yes it's an awful kludge to think about.  But there must be O(billions)
> of IPv4 devices out there.  And I do have doubts about IPv6 boffins.
> See SMTP or voluntary TCP backoff windows.

There are plenty of people moaning about lack of backward compatability
but no actual plans that are implementable that don't suck in some way.
And in the meantime a significant chunk of those IPv4 devices actually
support IPv6, it's just disabled in the config. If providers sent the
commands we'd be in much better shape.

Have a nice day,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout   <kleptog at svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/