[clug] Acer beTouch E130 (Android 1.6) smartphone

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Thu Jan 6 20:01:45 MST 2011

On 06/01/11 16:00, Michael Still wrote:
> On 1/6/11 3:25 PM, Robert Edwards wrote:
>> On 06/01/11 15:16, Michael Carden wrote:
>>> Keith,
>>>
>>> I don't know anything at all about your Acer handset, but I can tell
>>> you that on my HTC Magic I downloaded ConnectBot from the Android
>>> marketplace and it gives me either a local terminal to type in or an
>>> ssh connection to a console on other machines.
>>>

>> I, too, recently procured yet another Android device, this time an
>> Optus My Tab (ZTE) running Android 2.1 (7" screen, GPS, WiFi, Bluetooth,
>> 3G, 512MB RAM etc. $279 from Dick Smith with a 3GB Optus Pre-paid SIM,
>> normally worth $50. Small, light, good battery life - I wish it had a
>> multi-touch screen... But then it is half the size and half the weight
>> of an iPad and less than a third the cost...).
>>
>> I installed ConnectBot (on Mikal Still's advice - thanks Mikal!), from
>> the ConnectBot site (my non-US website policy precludes me from using
>> the Android Marketplace...). However, this device, like my previous two
>> Androids, doesn't have the magic "touchpad" with the centre button,
>> making it difficult (impossible?) to issue an ESC or Ctrl key sequence
>> in ConnectBot. Anyone know a work-around?
>
> My Galaxy Tab similarly has no physical keyboard or trackball. If you
> tap on the part of the screen where the text for your session appears,
> you should get virtual ctrl and escape keys.

Thanks Mikal. I saw these buttons appearing earlier but couldn't seem
to make them work. Pressing harder and offsetting slightly to allow for
the slight miscalibration of the touchscreen seems to work. I can't
seem to get any feedback at all that either of these buttons has been
activated.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.