[clug] Acer beTouch E130 (Android 1.6) smartphone

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Wed Jan 5 22:45:44 MST 2011

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 21:42, Michael Still <mikal at stillhq.com> wrote:
> On 1/6/11 4:30 PM, Daniel Pittman wrote:

>>> I'm not sure what you're talking about here? I count 3 releases in 2010
>>> alone. How many do you want?
>>
>> For which device?  As far as I know the HTC Magic on Three Australia
>> has not received a vendor upgrade past 1.6 - they certainly lagged an
>> awful lot in shipping updates until there was a root hole found, and
>> then they shipped a patch that fixed that, nothing else.  A quick
>> check shows at least a few confirming notes.
>
> Yeah, like I said. If you buy phone from a telco, you are waiting on
> Vodafone to approve the push. There are some sensible reasons for that --
> bandwidth costs for pushing the update, the bump in support calls which
> happen when you change stuff, the possibility of exposing new bugs, forcing
> people to buy new handsets to get the new hotness. I'm not saying I agree
> with those reasons, but there is some form of logic there.
>
> If you don't want to be held to all that, don't buy your phone from a telco.

...and if you buy from a vendor like Acer or HTC you wait for them,
right?  So, no free lunch: you only get the upgrades they release, if
they do.  So, while you are correct that there have been a bunch of OS
releases and all, the rate at which they land for handsets (and
especially older or cheaper handsets) has been much, much lower.

Otherwise those stats you posted would be ... rather more biased
toward 2.2 than they are. ;)

Regards,
    Daniel
--