[clug] Acer beTouch E130 (Android 1.6) smartphone

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Wed Jan 5 22:07:38 MST 2011

On 1/6/11 3:33 PM, Daniel Pittman wrote:

> Vendor updates are rare, but for most phones are the only option.  You
> have to turn off the vendor security, typically by running some sort
> of exploit to obtain root access.  (A handful of Google devices do
> that and void the warranty if you ask nicely with software, most
> don't.)

I'm not sure what you're talking about here? I count 3 releases in 2010
alone. How many do you want?

I have several android phones, and have never been asked by software to
void my warranty. Over the air updates however are complicated:

  - your device needs to support them
  - your telco needs to have approved the update (if you bought a
handset from one)
  - your device needs to be able to run the update

You can check if updates are available via Home > Menu > Settings >
About phone > System Updates

If your device doesn't support them, then you're at the mercy of
whatever Acer has done.

>> 5. I have managed to upload images from and download ogg files to the phone
>> thanks to its obvious compatibility with my linux mint but it took me a while
>> to work out that I could mount the device from the phone. Can I issue the
>> mount from the desktop?
>
> Not so far as I know, although there is probably some mechanism using
> the adb debugging software bridge to achieve it.  The phone actually
> has to unmount the SD card (and/or internal memory partition), then
> export it as a USB mass-storage device.

When you plug the device into USB a dialog should pop up asking you if
you want the SD card to appear as a device on your desktop.

Mikal