[clug] Acer beTouch E130 (Android 1.6) smartphone

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Wed Jan 5 21:58:47 MST 2011

On 1/6/11 1:15 PM, Keith Goggin wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I have just been given one of these phones and after a couple of days playing
> with it I have come up with a few questions which I haven't been able to
> resolve with google.
>
> 1. The phone came with a quick start guide but no real user manual and I
> couldn't find one online not even from the Android site itself. The only books
> I could find were about more advanced topics than how to use all the features
> of the phone and the Android System.

That's not surprising to me. Android is an operating system which was
put onto your phone by Acer. The android site is unlikely to provide
documentation for your phone, but Acer certainly should.

> 2. Should I upgrade to the latest stable release of Android (if that is newer
> than 1.6) or wait for an auto update if that is likely to happen any time
> soon?

I'm not sure what update system Acer uses. Is it a "Google experience
device"? If so it should get over the air updates. If not, then you
probably have to either install updates using some Acer approved method,
or install something like cynogen.

Mikal