[clug] Acer beTouch E130 (Android 1.6) smartphone

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Wed Jan 5 21:25:13 MST 2011

On 06/01/11 15:16, Michael Carden wrote:
> Keith,
>
> I don't know anything at all about your Acer handset, but I can tell
> you that on my HTC Magic I downloaded ConnectBot from the Android
> marketplace and it gives me either a local terminal to type in or an
> ssh connection to a console on other machines.

I, too, recently procured yet another Android device, this time an
Optus My Tab (ZTE) running Android 2.1 (7" screen, GPS, WiFi, Bluetooth,
3G, 512MB RAM etc. $279 from Dick Smith with a 3GB Optus Pre-paid SIM,
normally worth $50. Small, light, good battery life - I wish it had a
multi-touch screen... But then it is half the size and half the weight
of an iPad and less than a third the cost...).

I installed ConnectBot (on Mikal Still's advice - thanks Mikal!), from
the ConnectBot site (my non-US website policy precludes me from using
the Android Marketplace...). However, this device, like my previous two
Androids, doesn't have the magic "touchpad" with the centre button,
making it difficult (impossible?) to issue an ESC or Ctrl key sequence
in ConnectBot. Anyone know a work-around?

I am currently setting up the Android SDK on my Lucid desktop so that
I can "hack" the ConnectBot code, I hope. Gonna take a while, though.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.