[clug] ssl and https

Peter Barker pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au
Sat Feb 26 00:13:28 MST 2011

On Sat, 26 Feb 2011, dylan porter wrote:

>>> packets Tracing the path to live.com (65.55.206.154) on TCP port 22 (ssh),
>>> 30 hops max
>> I think I understand part of the problem.
>> So running tcptraceroute to port 22 isn't the same as running to port 443
>> (which is the usual SSL/TLS port).
>> Brad
> yeah i kind of saw that just now so i guess its a problem with ssh not ssl

Hmm,.

Your problem as originally stated was:
> My problem is that i cannot connect to some websites that have ssl and
> https, like facebook and sourceforge and it wont connect to instant
> messengers.

Which means you have a problem with ssl, not ssh.  Port 22 is typically
used by programs communicating using the "ssh" protocol.  That's useful
for using machines remotely - usually for an interactive shell, sometimes
for other things.  ssl is the "secure sockets layer".  This protocol is
sometimes used by internet servers and clients to communicate - all sorts
of *other* protocols are spoken on top of ssl-secured connections.  The
*most* used [citation needed] is "secure http", "https" - and is almost
always [no citation needed] spoken on port 443 (from the server's
persepective).

So.  Since you are having problems with *some* websites - we should get
the diagnostics for those websites.

My firewalls on this machine prevent me from presenting tcptraceroutes at
the moment.  Could you present the results of "tcptraceroute
www.facebook.com 443", and "tcptraceroute google.com 443", please?

> dylan porter

Yours,
--
Peter Barker                          |   Programmer,Sysadmin,Geek.
pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au	      |   You need a bigger hammer.