[clug] very FAT linux filesystems or cluster pixes?

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 21:17:33 MST 2011

On 24/02/11 10:14, Jason wrote:
> To test the theory that they are doing a backup copy of some sort, but
> it must be compressed somehow because you said it was not exactly
> double. You mentioned earlier that you are uploading a lot of images,
> which generally do not compress well, try creating a file that would
> compress well, (a 5mb text file with all 1's in it or something) and see
> if that doubles in size or not.

All uploaded files show, individually, as their correct size. As
directories they are close to double the size expected. .htaccess, *.php
files all (should) compress well but show as not compressed.

Very limited (PURE)ftp command set - eg. ls only takes -l and -a
switches (and I really need the -s switch).

Site commands are limited to ALIAS, CHMOD, IDLE, and UTIME

SYST gives me "215 UNIX Type: L8"

> Fascinating problem. I have hopes the NBN will allow us to do away with
> dodgy hosting companies once and for all and run everything of Shiva
> plugs or the like in our own homes.

:-D
I do admire your optimism (ah to be young!) - and suspect at best you'll
find one NastyBodgyNetwork will replace the others - and all the dodgy
hosting companies will be having wet portal dreams - at best it'll be an
AOL/Disney/Fox/MSN satellite tv experience with no more tiering
disputes, at worst a marketing and fascist nightmare - kind of the
Chilean telephone system when they let a certain Oz businessman fix it
for them. :-(

Hope I'm wrong of course - could turn out that the team running it will
fail to bring their previous track record to this venture...

> Jason Nielsen
>

> On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 23:56:15 +1100, Scott Ferguson
> <scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com> wrote:

<snipped to save electrons>

Cheers