[clug] duplex scanner recommendations

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Mon Feb 21 20:34:40 MST 2011

On 22/02/2011, at 14:09 , Robert Edwards wrote:

> Looking for an A4 duplex (two-sided) sheet-feeding page scanner for
> home use that works OK under Linux and is available in Oz.

How many sheets are you likely to want to feed at a time?

The Fujitsu ScanSnap is really, really, really nice. It looks like an inkjet printer - paper tray at the back which can feed up to 20 sheets of A4, feeds each page through the scanner body which has two scan heads, paper is dumped out the front in another paper tray, in the same order that the sheets were fed in. Ultrasonic feed point to make sure the pages don't stick, all the appropriate anti-static brushes, can handle business cards, bookmarks, sheets of paper up to A4 with no problem. It can scan "colour" but it's not the kind of colour fidelity you'd want for a photo scanner.

http://www.documentsnap.com/fujitsu-scansnap-in-linux/

It really is a nice scanner, but you pay for what you get. You're looking at around $700 depending on who you buy it from:
 - http://staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=ScanSnap+S1500&spos=1
 - There are auctions on eBay listing this printer at around $US300-600.

Note that the retail price includes a copy of Acrobat 8 (or something along those lines) for Windows, which I suspect pumps up the price by a couple of hundred dollars.

HTH
Alex