[clug] rtl8191se

freds72 at softhome.net freds72 at softhome.net
Fri Feb 11 16:23:34 MST 2011

Hi Dylan, hope this helps

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1267961&highlight=RTL8191SE-VA2&page=3

quoted from ubuntu forums post

Originally Posted by jdwannam
Here is what I used to get a stable wireless driver running on the 1201n.
Many thanks to David Woo of on launchpad for posting all of the
information here that I needed to get it working. And thanks to the
Phoronix review of the 1201n that had the above link.

I've installed the 64-bit version of Ubuntu 9.10, but there are
instructions within the bug report for getting it working on the 32-bit
version as well.

32-bit Driver:
http://launchpadlibrarian.net/339279...12.2009.tar.gz

64-bit Driver:
http://launchpadlibrarian.net/340903...9_64bit.tar.gz

Prerequisites:
Code:
sudo apt-get install build-essentials
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r`
[1] Extract the driver using 'tar zxvf <filename>'
[2] CD into the folder and run make
[3] Then run 'make install'
[4] If make install succeeds, reboot and it should be working

If the make install fails (as it did for me) you can manually install the
driver using these steps:

[1] Copy the target module in HAL/rtl8192/rt8192se_pci.ko to
/lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/
[2] Copy rtl8192se firmware folder to /lib/firmware/`uname -r`
[3] Run the command of `depmod -a`
[4] Run the command of 'modprobe rtl8192se_pci', or reboot.
[5] Check the NetworkManager, and see whether there's network list show
out?

ONE NOTE no s needed on build-essential and make install comand must be
done as su

"sudo su"

one more thing ...
it did not work right after restart...

I went to System > Admin...> hardware drivers ..then deactivated driver
then reactivated it and it started working!!!

cheers
Pete