[clug] IPv6 for home

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 22:25:41 MST 2011

On 01/01/12 12:36, Francis James Whittle wrote:
> I'd like to chime in late on the conversation to say that I think
> that stateless autoconfiguration (that's the method using radvd
> instead of dhcpv6) is a much better way to go.
>
> Also whoever came up with the 16 device thing.... What?

Is that a serious question? I'm pretty sure the post had my name in it ;-)

> IPv6 is pretty simple to set up as soon as you throw of the shackles
> holding your mind to IPv4,

Which is what I basically said.

> regardless of the number of devices.

My apologies for confusing you, I was specifically responding to Mikal's
post - substitute 16 for any number to large to easily add as entries
into hosts for intranet DNS.  (IPV8 => 16 devices, logical really)

> For example, I could just plug up to around 2^64 devices into my
> network
> and... well I wouldn't be able to power them all, but you see
> how that's 32 times the ENTIRE ipv4 address space, and I still
> shouldn't have run in any major configuration problems (Except the
> problem of where to put so much stuff, and how to power it).  After
> that point I have another 255 networks of the same size to plug stuff
> into, because my ISP handed me an unreasonably large block of
> addresses.  Seriously, what could I possibly need a /56 subnet for?

Interesting - unfortunately my brain refuses to do big math today....
like projected population size and uniquely identifiable network
connected devices.

Is it possible that the IPV6 address pool is large enough for mandatory
hard-coded addresses in devices instead of SA[*1]?

Perhaps I just haven't considered the number of possible discrete
networked devices of the future...?

Or maybe your ISP just decided that, as they had so many addresses they
could take the easy option of sub-netting their /32 into /56s, instead
of the smaller /48s (as originally planned).

Cheers

[*1] in line with Cory Doctrow's suggested possible future computing devices