[clug] IPv6 for home

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 01:14:01 MST 2011

On 30/12/11 18:14, Mike Carden wrote:

> Eh? Mikal wouldn't know an IPV6 if it bit him on the bottom. The man
> has trouble tying his shoelaces.
>
> Apparently, he still reads books on (shhh, whisper) p a p e r.

I'm sorry to hear that. It was not my intention to make fun of his
ignorance (though I laughed, so what the hell).

This paper and shoes thing is just a fad, real geeks use clay tablets
(mine have rounded corners) *and* wear sandals.

Seriously - IPV6 is pretty simple unless you have more than 16 devices.
Certainly more simple than IPV4, especially as BigPond (should) already
be supply IPV6 so you don't even need to set up tunnelling.

Just put your DNS addresses in /etc/network/interfaces (unless you're
running NetworkManager)

Oh - despite the FUD, most modem/router manufacturers support IPV6
out-of-the box.

Eg. partial list of cheap modem/routers supporting IPV6:-
Apple, Allied Telesis,  AVM, Buffalo Tech, Cisco, D-Link, Funkwerk E.C.,
Juniper Networks, Linksys, Sonicwall, Trendnet

Cheers