[clug] Rasberry Pi bulk order?

Peter Barker pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au
Thu Dec 29 23:26:36 MST 2011

On Fri, 30 Dec 2011, Mike Carden wrote:

> *Thread hijack*
>
> If a general purpose board is not what you need, then the FreeTronics
> EtherTen Arduino with Ethernet looks pretty good at about $75
> delivered: http://www.freetronics.com/products/etherten
>
> Yes, yes, it won't boot a Linux kernel or render HD video, but if your
> needs are more modest it's a pretty inexpensive way to get a 'smart'
> thing hanging off your network. And it exists and can be ordered right
> now. Don't get me wrong, I'm keen to play with a raspberry pi, but a
> bird in the hand...

Also: data sheets should be available for all components.

AFAIK, support for the video on the Raspberry Pi is via a binary blob from
Broadcom (ref:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forum/projects-and-collaboration-general/down-to-the-metal)

The implications here are that until someone comes up with an alternate
driver, you're at the mercy of Broadcom to provide updated blobs for new
kernels.  Broadcom do not have a stellar history with this sort of thing -
particularly with their WiFi drivers.

The Raspberry Pi does look pretty nice - just be aware of that limitation
IMO.

(I *think* that counts as a *Thread unhijack* :-) )

> MC

Yours,
--
Peter Barker                          |   Programmer,Sysadmin,Geek.
pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au	      |   You need a bigger hammer.