[clug] Favourite shell one liner

Hal Ashburner hal at ashburner.info
Tue Dec 20 19:37:02 MST 2011

On 21/Dec/11 11:47 AM, Robert Edwards wrote:
> On 20/12/11 22:12, Andrew Tridgell wrote:
>>> What's your favourite* shell** one liner?
>>
>> One one I use most often is very simple:
>>
>>    gcc -Wall -g -o some_program{,.c}
>>
>> not very fancy, but certainly useful :-)
>
> Hi Tridge,
>
> Someone should introduce you to "make"...

For a while at university I had export CFLAGS="-g -Wall -Werror" in my
.zshrc
% make some_program
saved a couple of keystrokes to achieve the same. Then I had that bug
that resulted in me making the executive decision to never have CFLAGS
set in my shell ever again under any circumstances. Funny how I can't
even remember exactly what the bug was now but it hasn't dulled the
sharp end of the memory...