[clug] Two questions about Tablets

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Fri Dec 16 03:49:24 MST 2011

I will go one further.

 From my little experimenting with a tablet (I use an Acer A501) I note a few major
subjects that one should accept from the outset.

- a tablet is not a computer, it is a large phone. Pretty much anything I thought
I can do I found difficult compared to a laptop. Cannot browse the fs. SD card *not*
treated as plain extra storage. Check your options for printing from the tablet.

- when you use a tablet you give up all control. Programs run when *they* want and you
have no say. I could not install *any* (I tried a few) email readers which did dot
ask for my password upfront and would not let go. I have to delete the account if I
want to remove the password (or I hope it is removed). No option to enter password
when I want to connect. In short, all passwords kept (and I understand that not
securely) and the *only* protection is the screen lock. Much written on this on
the 'net.

- programs running when they want mean that your 3G usage is out of control. For example,
google maps starts up at will and connects, as do many other programs like social apps
etc. (I do not use any yet they start and run in the background). Only safe solution
is to turn off mobile data, which is not what I want.

If one accepts the above then a tablet may be a really useful on-the-go reader,
browser and what not. I agree though,  with Alex, that Ultrabooks look like a very
attractive proposition.

Also, if you are happy to root the device, and set it up to your liking, then your
experience could be much happier.

cheers
	Eyal

n.b. I know that I am paranoid, but in this case they *are* after me :-)

--
Eyal Lebedinsky	(eyal at eyal.emu.id.au)