[clug] Two questions about Tablets

steve jenkin sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au
Thu Dec 15 21:58:18 MST 2011

jm wrote on 16/12/11 2:59 PM:
> There's also the ASUS slider
>
> http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/computers/blogs/gadgets-on-the-go/hands-on-asus-eee-pad-slider-20111122-1nt40.html
>

> Regarding price and 3G,
>
> Before we go any further we should talk price, as it's a sensitive issue
> considering the strength of the Aussie dollar. Asus' wifi-only 16GB
> Slider retails for $AU649 and the 32GB wifi-only model for $AU749.
> Unfortunately there's no sign of the 3G-capable Slider at this point.
>
> So, unfortunately it doesn't fix your requirements. I only post this in
> case others are interested.
>
> Another thought, you could turn your phone into a wifi hot spot to work
> around the lack of 3G if you can bare this trade off.
>
> Jeff.

Jeff,

Thanks for your reply and advice.

Good article. I'd seen the SMH piece on the Transformer, but not looked
any further.

Another off-list reply confirmed your comment:
 use a tablet for Tablet-stuff, use a (smart)Phone for 3G - and make it
a wifi router available for all devices you own. Battery-Life Willing :-)

SMH says to compare Slider against:
Xoom
<http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/computers/blogs/gadgets-on-the-go/hands-on-motorola-xoom-v-acer-a500-20110510-1ehk5.html>

and Acer 500:
<http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/computers/blogs/gadgets-on-the-go/hands-on-acer-iconia-a500-tablet-20110418-1dkaz.html>

He points to a US site (Motorola) for their bluetooth KBD
<http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US-EN/Consumer-Product-and-Services/Tablet-Accessories/Motorola-Wireless-Keyboard-US-EN>

and there's a Logitech 'Tablet Keyboard' Y-R0021, that can be paired
with Android 3 tablets (if you believe their FAQs)
<http://www.logitech.com/en-au/1111/8232>
Shopbot says available for $83-$96

Again, man thanks for your help.

Cheerio