[clug] An idea

Adam Thomas adam.lloyd at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 22:58:07 MDT 2011

Hi All,

On 17 August 2011 12:41, Angus Gratton <gus at projectgus.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-08-17 at 11:21 +1000, jm wrote:
>>Last time I looked into it the UK govt had defined and was using
>>TransXChange (http://www.dft.gov.uk/transxchange/)
>> *snip*
>> I don't know anything about what would have to be done on
>> their end to make such a thing possible.
>
> Google also have their own XML-based transit specification, GTFS, which
> appears to be similar although somewhat more limited. You can convert
> TransXChange->GTFS, don't know if a tool exists for the other way.
>
> I mention this because Google Australia announced that ACTION would be
> integrating with Google Transit, to launch "late in June 2009".[1] The
> integration process entails providing Google with a GTFS formatted data
> feed.
>
> So, it would seem, whatever needs to be done at ACTION's end has so far
> taken over two years longer than someone first expected...

Simon Corbel tweeted, at beginning of August, that they were expecting
to release the data as Open Source[0] in the next 1 to 2 months[1].
The imagine team mention GTFS specifically and also talk about the
real time data in their blog post from around the same time[2].

> "GPS bus stop and route data to be released under the GTFS, Simon told
> us he wants to see the Real Time Passenger Information System data available Open Source also."

As for applying an Open Source license to data files... well, we'll
just have to wait and see what they actually mean by that.

[0]: https://twitter.com/#!/SimonCorbell/status/100426917995487232
[1]: https://twitter.com/#!/SimonCorbell/status/100482454959296512
[2]: http://my-bus.com.au/imagineteam/?p=1086

--