[clug] Avoiding NVIDIA Optimus ?

Sam Couter sam at couter.id.au
Thu Aug 4 08:00:45 MDT 2011

Sam Couter <sam at couter.id.au> wrote:
> I bought a laptop with a radeon
> instead. I haven't yet succeeded in getting fglrx modules working
> though, so I can't yet say that there's any winning decision here.

Self-reply, thread necromancy, are there any guidelines I won't break?

Update on the ATI laptop: Installed fglrx modules again (Debian sid) the
other day, Just Works. Previously had an idle temp of 70C+, screaming
fans (and a hot knee) and less than one hour battery life, now running
temp of less than 40C, quiet fans, comfortable knee, estimated 3 hours
battery life on light duties and of course much better 3D performance.

I'm now happy I made the right decision.
Sam Couter         |  mailto:sam at couter.id.au