[clug] VMware ThinApps: anything like this in the FOSS/Linux world?

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Sat Apr 30 03:24:02 MDT 2011

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011, Kim Holburn wrote:

[Snip discussion that mirrors my own opinions on the use of dynamic
executables]

> All of that just to have dynamically linked executables?  Perhaps we've
> gone too far along that road and a mix of dynamic and static would be
> better?

At the risk of making a "me too" post, I've been thinking along these
lines for a while.  With gobs of disk and memory maybe I'd be better off
with everything statically linked.  Disk space (and even memory) can be
saved with the right kind of deduping.

Rapid changes in computer hardware mean that we should be rethinking
existing practices and assumptions every few years.

Cheers,

Rob

--
Email: robert at timetraveller.org		Linux counter ID #16440