[clug] VMware ThinApps: anything like this in the FOSS/Linux world?

Brett Worth brett at worth.id.au
Sat Apr 30 02:37:10 MDT 2011

On 04/30/2011 12:43 PM, steve jenkin wrote:
> I've just stumbled across VMware's "ThinApp" (for Windows only).
>
> Doesn't need an install or O/S drivers - like PKzip's self-extracting
> archives, everything is there in one blob, an EXE.
>
> Does the same functionality exist in the FOSS world?
> Can I do something like this for QEMU or anything else?

One of the things demonstrated on the thinapp site is the ability to run several different
version of M$ Office on the same machine.  As far as I remember (and it may have changed
in the past 15 years) Windows has a simplistic naming scheme for dynamic libraries so that
there can only be a single version of a given system DLL.  This used to break things when
a new version was installed and some application expected the old version.  I guess that's
what they're demonstrating.

While I agree that dynamic libraries can be messy at least the versioning seems to work in
Linux.

Brett
--