[clug] separate boot partition?

Alex Fraser alex at phatcore.com
Thu Apr 28 16:45:56 MDT 2011

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 3:15 PM, Michael James <clug3 at james.st> wrote:
> Is there ANY reason to still have boot in a separate partition?

I have a separate boot partition so I can encrypt the rest of my
drive. You can set that up pretty easily with the Ubuntu alternate
install CD.

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 3:31 PM, Andrew Janke <a.janke at gmail.com> wrote:
> I take things even further these days and not even bother with a swap
> partition, I am told that nowdays a swap file has a negligible
> performance hit so I have a little script like this:

I don't know about that. I had it disabled on one of my computers by
mistake, and performance was *horrible*. If it ever got to the point
where it needed swap, it would start dropping cached program text, and
the machine would grind to a halt. At least I think that's what was
happening. Re-enabling swap fixed it right up. Here's a good post
about it, following an old discussion on CLUG:

http://sourcefrog.net/weblog/software/linux-kernel/swap.html

Cheers,
Alex