[clug] Experiences with C++ unit testing frameworks?

Bill Clarke llib at computer.org
Tue Sep 21 07:11:44 MDT 2010

Ben,

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 00:50, Ben Davies <ben.davies at anu.edu.au> wrote:
> Hi CLUGers,
>
> I have some inherited C++ code which I need to make some changes to, so I'm
> looking into finding a 'nice' C++ unit testing framework.
>
> Since there is a small zoo out there of C++ UT frameworks, has anyone had
> much experience with any of them?
>
> From some initial poking around, some contenders appear to be:
> 1) CppUnit - possibly a bit clunky
> 2) CxxTest
> 3) Google C++ Testing Framework

I've only used 3, but I've used it a _lot_ (we use it at work, surprise).
I would totally recommend Googletest, together with gMock.  While the
framework takes a little getting used to (so many macros), it is quite
powerful and flexible, and not hard to use.  I'm also willing to help
out if you have questions (but I might be on the other side of the
planet).

/lib