[clug] SFD this Saturday

Stephen Walsh steve at nerdvana.org.au
Thu Sep 16 19:41:30 MDT 2010

  On 09/17/2010 10:55 AM, Lana Brindley wrote:
> Speaking from experience with giving things away, this might be a little
> hard to manage, and people are unlikely to want to answer (also, it implies
> this student/teacher relationship which in marketing terms is a no-no.

Also keep in mind that trying to show people why they are in the wrong
will put them on the defensive. It might be perfectly understandable for
you to ask someone "why are you using a crippled, security riddled,
closed source, proprietary software?", but questioning their choice like
this immediately puts the person on the defensive, and makes them not
willing to listen to what you have to say.

I wrote about this in 2006
(http://lists.samba.org/archive/linux/2006-June/015551.html), and if you
can ignore my shocking typing, the first section stands true (you can
safely ignore the second section). Instead point out the positives of
what Free software can do, like

*What version of Word do you have? 2000? wow. Well, did you know that
open office can now read Word 2007 documents, so when someone sends you
a docx file, you can just fire up the free software we've helpfully
burnt for you onto this DVD and read it without having to ask them to
convert it? Why is it free? Because there are really craxy people in the
world who like to tinker and make broken things work for everyone, so
they sat down, wrote this software, and then they released it.