[clug] firefox top-like plugin

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Wed Sep 15 20:30:42 MDT 2010

On 16/09/10 09:29, jeff wrote:
> Is there a plugin for Firefox which would given me the CPU and memory
> usage for various elements of Firefox, eg, pages, plugins, etc. Every
> morning when I get into work Firefox is consuming a large amount of CPU
> on one core and is sluggish. Forcing me to restart it. If I can figure
> out what is causing this growth in CPU usage over the course of the day
> I can at least avoid that page, turn off that plugin, or know that I
> should limit it's usage to a different browser to isolate the problem.
>
> Jeff.

Maybe the proposed plugin would report itself as consuming the most CPU
cycles :-)

Anyway, good idea - I would certainly be keen to see such a plugin.

Has anyone on the list written a Firefox plugin and be willing to give
a short informal talk at either PSIG or CLUG about how to get started?
For free Pizza? And kudos? And accolades from your FOSS kinsfolk?

One that I would like to have is a "search" facility that will let me
find an existing open tab for a particular site/domain amongst all the
tabs and windows (and their histories) that I have running at any
particular time. I'd like to look into writing such a plugin.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.