[clug] Is this relevant? - was "Pipped at the post"

Felix Karpfen felix.karpfen at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 23:58:35 MDT 2010

This post is addressed to the CLUG members who were good enough to take
an interest in the problems that I experienced when I attempted to
establish a USB connection between my (recently-purchased) Internet
tablet and my (aged) computer.

I went to "the horse's mouth":

http://www.android-x86.org/documents/installhowto

and failed to understand what it said.  I lack the technical know-how and
the instructions appear to be geared towards Windows users.  :-(

2 entries in the instructions caught my eye:

1. The Android-compatible file systems are stated to be:
 - ext3, ext2, ntfs and FAT32.

My computer's default file system is "XFS".

The relevant file-system entry in my "/etc/fstab" is "auto"; this entry
appears adequate for mounting usb-sticks and <reading | copying to> their
content. The entry has failed (with one non-repeatable exception) to
display the content of my Tablet's SD Card;

  and

2. the preferred install routine (create a bootable USB stick) includes
the following caveat:

After detailing how to convert the downloaded "iso file" to a USB-disk,
the install info goes on to say:

"Some broken BIOS may fail to boot such a USB disk".

My computer's BIOS offers the option to boot from a CD-ROM (that appears
to work for a DVD).  It has not heard of a USB-disk.

Is any of the above information relevant?

Felix Karpfen

--
Felix Karpfen
Public Key 72FDF9DF (DH/DSA)